The Old Town in Aarhus is one of the most popular museums in Denmark. In reality it is a collection of museums in the form of a village of 75 houses.
These buildings are not reconstructions but real houses from 24 different Danish towns. Each house was built over the past 500 years, taken down, and rebuilt in a corner of the botanic garden of Aarhus.
Since 1909 Old Town has continuously been growing around narrow paved streets, a small harbor, wind- and water mills and historically dressed employees. Old Town is constantly being enlarged. Among the latest additions are homes from Odense from the time of the author Hans Christian Andersen.
The Aarhus Cathedral, dedicated to St. Clemens, was originally built in 1201 in Romanesque style and enlarged in its present Gothic form between 1450 and 1520. At 93 metres, it is Denmark's longest ecclestiastical building. Its 12-metre pentatych (a five-panelled altarpiece) pictured in Photo 24 is Denmark's largest medieval artistic treasure. It was created at the workshop of Bernt Notke in Lübeck and donated to the cathedral by Bishop Jens Iversen Lange in 1479.
All photos taken handheld in natural light with Sony NEX-7 camera and Zeiss C Biogon 35mm f2.8 lens. Processed in Lightroom 4.1 and Topaz Labs InFocus.
© Jonathan Valin